Sago Mini is an award-winning publisher of preschooler apps and toys worldwide. Supported by a team of artists, designers, developers, product managers, thinkers, and doers who are devoted to play. With over 60 million downloads, three subscription services, 35+ apps, and a line of physical toys, Sago Mini brings thoughtful design to life for kids and parents worldwide.
You are an energized and enthusiastic go-getter who thrives in a team environment. With an attentive eye for the little details, you are a creative at heart and possess a flair for visual design and creation. You are eager to learn new things and solve hard problems while contributing your talents to a successful, growing organization. You thrive working in an agile environment and enjoy juggling multiple projects at once. You’re happy and willing to put your head down and focus on tasks at hand but as a clear and confident communicator, you gladly speak up and share your valuable thoughts and insights.
About the Role
Sago Mini is hiring a Technical Artist for a one year full-time contract position. You’ll join a team of designers, developers, artists, builders, thinkers, and doers who make apps that delight both kids and parents around the world. As a Technical Artist on the Sago Mini World team you will be responsible for bridging the gap between artists, programmers, and sound designers. Your understanding of the project's artistic vision and technical constraints make you the perfect person to efficiently export assets and integrate them into our Unity projects.
What You’ll Be Doing
- Working with our artists to import their art files into our games.
- Working with our sound designers to make sure that all parts of our games have sound effects that match their requirements and are using the right audio assets.
- Use the tools created by the developers to incorporate new functionality into our games.
- Discuss and prototype gameplay features with our play designers and developers in order to build gameplay functionality that “feels” great.
- Placing and configuring all the various game elements in the Unity scene, making sure that they meet the project’s artistic vision and are fun for kids to play with.
- Tweaking all the little details that raise our quality bar to the highest standards: visuals, physics, sound effects, particles, and others.
- Responsible for organizing the various assets and project hierarchy in Unity, coordinating the files received from your teammates and maintaining the overall cleanliness of the project.
- Brainstorming with the team about new ideas and improvements.
Qualifications and Skills
- Experience using Adobe Illustrator or Adobe Animate to edit, layout, organize, and export art assets.
- Comfortable importing and integrating assets into Unity projects.
- Excited to explore our past projects for inspiration and to methodically peel back the layers until you understand how something is built.
- Able to look at an interaction and articulate why it "feels" good or bad.
- A strong eye for visual design and a methodic appreciation for pixel perfect accuracy.
- Familiarity using version control systems like Git to keep projects organized.
- Excellent verbal, written, and interpersonal communication skills.
- Ability to manage competing priorities.
- Eagerness and drive to learn and develop skills.
- Desire to be a part of and work closely with a team.
- Highly motivated with an ability to thrive in a growing environment.
- A degree in game design, game programming, or a portfolio of relevant experience.
- This role is a great opportunity for a recent graduate or someone with a few years of experience under their belt.
Nice to Haves
- While this is not a game developer role any Unity/C# programming experience is considered an asset.
About the Process
- You’ll get an email response confirming we’ve received your application, and we’ll let you know within a few weeks if we’d like to schedule a follow-up.
- If you’re moving ahead, we’ll book a call to learn more about your experience. Then we’ll send you a short homework assignment to get a better feel for your skillset.
- If the assignment goes well, we’ll book another interview to dive deeper prior to making a decision.
Based in Toronto, Sago Mini is a subsidiary of Toca Boca, the No. 1 mobile-first kids brand in the App Store. Both companies are part of Spin Master Corp., a global children’s entertainment company that creates, designs and manufactures a diversified portfolio of innovative toys, games, products and entertainment properties. We hire humble, collaborative, and ambitious people who care about doing great work. Sago Mini is an equal opportunity employer. We value diversity at our company.