Senior UX Designer
Sago Mini is an award-winning publisher of preschool apps and toys worldwide. We are supported by a team of artists, designers, developers, product managers, thinkers, and doers devoted to play. With over 100 million downloads, three subscription services, and 40+ apps, Sago Mini brings thoughtful design to life for kids and parents worldwide.
About the Role
Sago Mini is seeking a Senior UX designer to work on a new Sago Mini product. As a UX designer you will work with our product owners, the Principal UX designer, developers, and artists to craft beautiful experiences for parents and their children ages 2-5. You will be a key advocate of the parent and child experience, applying insights and research to establish and iterate on the details of interaction and visual design. This is a position suitable for candidates with 8+ years of related experience.
This is a hybrid position. You will be required to work in-office at least one day a week.
You’ll thrive in this role if you…
- Enjoy turning complex ideas into simple experiences.
- Have a strong visual design sensibility, have pride in ownership and work well in a collaborative environment.
- Are obsessed with the details, and can take an experience from good to great.
- Craft your presentations with storytelling at the core.
- Are empathetic and desire a strong understanding of your users.
- Enjoy mentoring others and helping them do their best work.
What You’ll Be Doing
- Collaborating with Product Owners to arrive at the strongest design solutions that meet business needs.
- Creating storyboards, flows, wireframes, visual design, specs, and paper/digital prototypes.
- Crafting visual designs that speak to our brand while resonating with our customers.
- Working collaboratively with a product manager, Principal UX designer, digital artists, copywriter, animators, and developers to shape products.
- Designing and documenting new experiences with an eye to overall user experience, flow, visual design, and execution.
- Presenting design concepts to the team, then discussing and integrating feedback.
- Design, export, and implement creative assets
- Attending play testing sessions with parents and children, observing their behavior and then integrating feedback.
- Understanding parents’ and kids’ motivations and expectations when it comes to user interface.
- Teaching and mentoring other mid level and associate UX Designers as needed.
Qualifications and Skills
- 8+ years of professional experience in interaction design or a related field.
- A degree in interaction design, visual design, or a related field.
- Excellent verbal, written and interpersonal communication skills.
- Strong attention to detail.
- Ability to manage competing priorities.
- You’re able to synthesize business and user requirements and construct thorough Information Architecture (IA) artifacts that guide the team.
- Great storytelling skills for presenting information.
- You have a portfolio of products and experiences that you’ve helped create.
- You have a deep understanding of interface design.
- Have experience using Figma for documentation and/or design.
- Have experience creating and/or working with vector illustration in Adobe Illustrator.
- Have experience creating IA artifacts for both apps and websites.
Nice to Haves
- Copywriting experience.
- Experience working with video and/or motion graphics.
- Experience designing for children and/or families.
About the Process
- You’ll get an email response confirming we’ve received your application, and we’ll let you know within a few weeks if we’d like to schedule a follow-up.
- If you’re moving ahead, we’ll book a call to learn more about your experience.
- If that goes well, we’ll send you a short homework assignment to get a better feel for your skillset.
- If the assignment goes well, we’ll book an interview with you and the hiring team to dive deeper.
- At this point, you’re a strong contender for the role! We’ll have you meet for a chat with the team you’d work closely with prior to making a decision.
We welcome and encourage applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available upon request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
Based in Toronto, Sago Sago Toys of Spin Master Limited a leading global children’s entertainment company that creates, designs and manufactures a diversified portfolio of innovative toys, games, products and entertainment properties. We hire humble, collaborative, and ambitious people who care about doing great work. Sago Mini is an equal opportunity employer. We value diversity at our company.